CoalSwitch™ is a biomass-based fuel that utilises low-value forestry, and agricultural residues, and oil palm residues including empty fruit bunch, palm fronds, and oil palm trunks, as well as a variety of other biomass feedstocks. It has several advantages compared with other biomass fuels such as torrefied or white pellet alternatives, including:
- Unique characteristics in terms of calorific value and friability (the ability to be ground to very fine powder), performing well on all metrics in comparison to coal.
- Ability to increase energy density and bulk density of biomass to levels comparable to coal and as a result, the costs to transport it are highly efficient relative to any other coal alternative, and 62% more cost effective than white biomass pellets.
- Hydrophobic qualities, which remove the need for expensive climate-controlled storage facilities/silos, unlike white pellet fuels that require climate-controlled storage and shipping.
- Ability to be economically pelletised, briquetted, or baled, either alone or blended with coal without costly binders.
- Ability to improve coal-burning efficiencies when co-fired with coal, providing power plants with an easy route to sulphur and carbon dioxide emission reductions.
- Ability to be used in coal fired power stations without the need for significant retrofitting.
The Company commissioned its first five-tonne per hour plant in Utah Q1 2018 providing product for testing by international utility companies, government agencies and coal power plant operators. The Company is now in discussions with global engineering procurement and construction contractors to ensure that future plants are constructed in an efficient and scalable manner.